Kate Stewart is a candidate for Montgomery County Council District 4.
From her website (www.votekatestewart.com):
“Kate first came to Montgomery County in 1995, renting a house on Philadelphia Avenue with her husband Jon. Several years later, they moved to a home in Takoma Park, where they raised their two children, Jamie and Bridget; both recent graduates of Montgomery Blair High School. Kate was elected as the Mayor of Takoma Park in 2015 and has proven her ability to lead – even as so many communities, like hers, have had to handle issues ranging from the COVID-19 crisis, underlying economic inequalities, racial injustice, and climate change. Her record shows that effective government is the product of effective leadership and she wants to see her larger community served by leaders who roll up their sleeves in the face of steep challenges.”
Below are her answers to our important questions:
- If the MoCo government was a dictatorship, what’s the first thing you would do as its unquestioned supreme leader?
Um . . . We live in Jamie Raskin’s district — no room for dictators or despots here.
- Which superhero would you hire to run MCPS and why?
Teachers are superheroes — but if you need a comic sensation, I’d pick the Wonder Pets — “‘Cause what’s going to work, Team Work!”
- Mosquitos or cicadas?
Definitely Cicadas. They are patient, like to party, and aren’t afraid to make noise when necessary.
- If Elon Musk offered 44 billion dollars to buy Montgomery County, how would you respond?
I’d take a line from the President — “Lots of luck on your trip to the moon.” Also — see answer to #1.
- Which Golden Girl are you and why?
Dorothy — a no-nonsense problem-solver from Brooklyn who fought for reproductive rights from the beginning.
- If you had to send a mixtape to your opponent(s), what songs would it include?
I’m a big Bruce fan and am enjoying the race — so “Born to Run” would be the only song required.
- Who would you Kiss/Marry/Kill between Bethesda, Silver Spring, and Gaithersburg?
I’m already married, love all of MoCo, and wouldn’t kill anything other than Larry Hogan’s toll lane plan.
- You’re watching a baseball game and the umpire blows a call that ruins the game for your team. Tear him a new one in 6 words or less.
I have no context for this question — I coached Takoma Park Rec Soccer where everyone is a winner :).
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how nervous are you that this survey will be posted all over social media?
Have you been paying attention.
- If you had to earn a very important endorsement with a cheesy pick-up line, what would yours be?
Are you talking about the Torch? You light up my life (or at least my twitter feed).
Aw shucks, Kate. And you charge up our electric leaf blower.